Gas pricing

Our gas distribution network prices are increasing 

From 1 October 2023, our gas charges will increase by an average of 14.3%. That's about 18c per day for residential customers.

We own and maintain the network of mains, service pipes, regulator stations and other infrastructure that delivers gas to customers in Taranaki, Hawke’s Bay, Manawatū, Horowhenua, Hutt Valley, Porirua and Wellington.

We continually invest in and maintain these assets to ensure we can continue to provide you with safe, reliable, resilient and future-ready gas.

Your gas bill

You pay your retailer (the company that sends your gas bill) for the gas energy you use and about 27% of what you pay comes to us as gas distribution charges. The remaining 73% of your bill is made up of your retailer's charges, GST, transmission and other charges. The overall impact of this year's changes on your gas bill will depend on how your retailer chooses to structure the prices they charge you.

We update our prices annually to reflect changes such as the number of customers in our service areas, and the costs of meeting your gas needs. 

Our prices are regulated by the Commerce Commission, with the 2023 increase covering the impacts of inflation levels and depreciation costs. 

The future of gas

Climate change and decarbonisation are transforming the energy landscape. Soon we'll be publishing our gas asset management plan which outlines how we'll support Aotearoa New Zealand's net-zero by 2050 emissions target, and the first Emissions Reduction Plan which was published in May 2022. 

Our plans reflect the impacts of decreasing dependence on fossil gas (particularly for large businesses), promoting access to low-emission gases, and retaining fuel options for energy resilience.

We want households and businesses to continue to benefit from gas while contributing to a sustainable and resilient energy system.

Got a question for us?

If you have any queries about our gas pricing you can contact us at gaspricingandrevenue@powerco.co.nz

 

View our gas pricing schedule for 1 October 2023 - 30 September 2024