Storm power outage recovery

Storm power outage recovery

Monday, February 16, 2026

Crews from throughout the North Island are joining the local effort to restore power to customers in Whanganui-Rangitīkei, Manawatū-Tararua and Wairarapa following wild weather overnight Sunday and today (Monday).

By 4.30pm today, power had been restored to about 11,000 customers in the affected regions, having started the day with more than 25,000 properties without power on Powerco’s electricity network.

Powerco Head of Network Operations, Mark Dunn, says the damage to the electricity network is severe and it could take days to get some customers power back on.

“Our crews in Whanganui are reporting that this is the worst damage to the power network that they have seen in the region from a storm in years. Trees, power lines and poles are down,” Mark Dunn says.

“We will continue to work as quickly and safely as we can to get every single customer affected by the storm reconnected. However damage to the network is significant and we're therefore unable to provide restoration times. If you haven’t had your power restored by nightfall tonight, please prepare to be without supply overnight.”

If people encounter an emergency situation – such as downed lines – call Powerco’s emergency number: 0800 27 27 27 or 111.

“We’ve had reports of lines down in multiple rural properties throughout our network, with people attempting to move them. This is incredibly dangerous, so please stay well clear – at least 10 metres – and treat them as live at all times.”

As of 4.30pm, there were about 13,488 customers without power in Powerco’s electricity network area, with the most impacted regions being:

Whanganui: 5,092
Manawatū: 4,964
Wairarapa: 3,300
 
Copy Link
Copy link copy link

Latest media releases