We collect your personal information:
• When an electricity retailer, contractor or other agent applies on your behalf
• From electricity retailers and also through electrical and other contractors as needed to install, maintain and operate our electricity network
• When you participate in consumer promotions and surveys
• Through recording of customer service calls
• As you use the website, in the form of statistics about how you use the website and data on the devices you use to access the website, such as IP address, device ID and location (and as further described in the Analytics section below).
We use your personal information for various purposes:
• Verifying your identity and address information
• Letting electricity retailers know that your property is being connected to our electricity network
• Connecting your property to our electricity network and carrying out any further installations, maintenance, upgrades or disconnections required from time to time
• Supplying you with any other products or services you have requested
• Carrying out market research
• Providing your details to one or more electricity retailers if required as part of any service you have requested
• Improving our customer service, including online services
• Complying with laws in New Zealand and overseas, where they apply
• Managing our relationship with you and exercising and enforcing our rights
Sharing your personal information
We may provide your personal information to our employees, contractors, advisors, agents and third party service providers where we believe this is appropriate to help us with any of the purposes specified above. We will take reasonable steps to ensure that those recipients do not use that personal information for any other purpose.
We may also release personal information when we believe this is appropriate for legal compliance and law enforcement (including to government agencies with statutory law enforcement responsibilities) or to facilitate court proceedings, enforce our rights, or protect our company, our customers, or others.
We can also release personal information in other ways permitted by the Privacy Act 1993.
We will take reasonable steps to ensure the security of your personal information.
Access to your personal information
You have rights under the Privacy Act 1993 to find out what personal information we hold about you, to get a copy of that information, and/or to request corrections to that information. If you would like to do any of these things, please contact our Privacy Officer by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org .
Where we receive information about others from you
This means that you must take reasonable steps to ensure the individual concerned is aware of and/or consents to the various matters detailed in this policy, including the fact that their personal information is being collected, the purposes for which that information is being collected, the intended recipients of that information, the individual's right to obtain access to that information, our identity, and how to contact us.
When you use our website, we may gather certain information automatically and store it in log files. This information may include internet protocol (IP) addresses, browser type, referring/exit pages, operating system, date/time stamp and clickstream data.
We may use non-personalised statistics about the use of our website to monitor site traffic, to analyse trends, to gather demographic information about our user base as a whole, to improve our website and to improve customer service. These statistics do not comprise personal information.
Powerco collects domain information as part of its analysis of the use of this site. This allows us to gather broad demographic information only, such as what country you are from or what ISP you use. Your computer's IP address does not provide any personal details. We use this information to improve our web-based offerings. This information is collected automatically and requires no action on your part.
In general, you can visit our site without telling us who you are or divulging any personal information unless you choose to do so.
Some pages on this site use 'cookies', which are small files that the site places on your hard drive for identification purposes. These files are used for site registration and customisation so the next time you visit us the site can recall your previous selections. Cookies cannot read data on your hard drive. Your web browser may allow you to be notified when you are receiving a cookie, giving you the choice to accept it or not. By not accepting cookies, some pages may not fully function and you may not be able to access certain information on this site.