Powerco has made good progress restoring supply to customers who lost power from the extreme winds yesterday.
The severe weather caused wide-spread power cuts in Tauranga, South Waikato and Coromandel.
Powerco Acting Network Operations Manager Dean Stevenson said field crews had worked hard to restore supply to all but around 4,000 of the 30,000 customers who originally lost power.
Extra field crews had been brought into the affected areas to help restore supply as quickly and safety as possible.
“Our first priority is making the network safe. Stay away from any downed power lines and call Powerco’s emergency number 0800 272727.”
Mr Stevenson said most of the damage had been caused by trees falling across lines.
“These power cuts could have been avoided if the trees had been trimmed or felled to avoid problems.”
Reporting damage and faults
• For dangerous sections of the network or lines that are down call Powerco on 0800 272 727.
• Customers should contact their electricity retailers to report faults and for restoration times.
• About Powerco: www.powerco.co.nz
• Keeping safe around fallen power lines: http://www.powerco.co.nz/Safety/In-an-Emergency/
• Tree trimming: http://www.powerco.co.nz/Safety/Tree-Trimming/